Friday, February 3, 2012

San Francisco Treats

So sorry for the delay. Life has been a little crazy! After returning from San Francisco I promptly celebrated my birthday and then this past weekend unexpectedly went to Atlantic City. Let's get right to it. Where did I go, what did I eat, how much weight did I gain?

After going out for Burmese food the previous evening we wanted to try sushi for our next meal. We attempted to go to Sushi Zone first. I walk in as the elected representative of our group to sign out name on the board and see a long list of names. When I look around there are maybe 4 people waiting. I inquire with the hostess/waitress. 

"Oh there is a list with names on it, it will be a wait, maybe an hour"

I return to my hungry herd of two and explain. We are all confused and we enter, yet again to gain more information. We realize, no, we are not in NYC but in San Francisco. People wear Birkenstocks here, and walk slow, and have nice weather. They are not concerned with the ridged, militarized, world-clock-synchornized wait list system we have in the city. So we head to Blowfish. We are offered a bar seat and immediately take it. The restaurant is loud but the interesting people make up for it. Here is what we shared:

Ritsu Roll - maguro, bincyo, avocado, masago fl ash fried & served with citrus ponzu. Our signature roll! tempura shrimp, cucumber topped with unagi & avocado
Dragon Roll
Crunchy California Maki (my favorite)
Greedy Girl
Avacado Roll - eel, asparagus tempura, avocado
Scallop w/truffle Oil

3 out of 5
I step out of the taxi. Heaven opens up and angels emerge singing praise and glory. Peter, is there to greet me at the pearly gates that is the hostess stand. OK it was a woman, but you get the idea. We were back. Back to the location of what my co-worker likes to call "The Cauliflower Incident". We are lead to the same table we sat at last year. I order the same cocktail and sip with delight. Then the waitress arrives and I tell her with the most certainty that I have ever in my soul that yes, I would like the Cauliflower Creme Brulee. 
Emotions flood my mind and heart. Will it be the same as last year? Will the truffle oil seep into my nostrils and set off an alarm of utter joy? Will the chef torch the top enough for that sweet/savory crunch leaving a layer of creaming cauliflower underneath? I begin sweating and shaking. I ignore all conversations swirling around me. What did I just say in response to my table mates? It matters not.Only that after I eat my gnocchi the pork belly and creme brulee will arrive simultaneously to take me on a culinary journey I have thought about every week, NAY every day since last year. What's that coming toward me? Could it be? It is! Both plates are placed in front of me. I take my spoon hesitantly, then with more courage and break the shell that so lovingly protects the delicious inside. 

Yes. It is the same. And yet...so...much...better.

SF Yacht Club vodka, grapefruit, cucumber, lemon, lime, mint
Malbec cedrus 2008 cahors france 
Deviled Petaluma Eggs -  mustard yolks, capers, celery, crisp shallots
Baked Macaroni & Cheese - Vella dry jack, smoked olive oil
Wayfare Burger "Le Grand"- grass-fed proprietary grind, Marin brie, roasted onion, smoked bacon, brioche with sunny side up Petaluma egg 

2 out of 5

Commonwealth

This was everyone's favorite restaurant. Except mine. I think from reading an earlier restaurant review you can see where I wanted to be (see 25Lusk, if you needed the help). It was a hip restaurant with a very open kitchen. Literally. I drank a lot of water that evening attempting to rehydrate and balance myself so let's just say I had to visit the loo a few times. But I didn't mind because you literally walk right through the kitchen to get there. And as you sit on the pot you are faced with the most interesting art and narration accompanying it. Please do use the loo and check it out.

For a drink I elected to not have alcohol and have a house made soda of lemon and tarragon. Very, very interesting. Refreshing.
 Arancini - truffle cheese, lettuce cream
Pumpkin salad - asian pear, chicory, idiazabal cheese, almond tuile, cocoa nib
Petrale sole - wrapped in feuille de brik, nicoise olive, celery root, grape, spinach, verjus
Peanut butter semifreddo - chocolate ganache, frozen popcorn (my favorite)


3 out of 5

Flour & Water
 
Our last evening we went to a no-frills, comfy place in the Mission district. 

Pasta
Radiatore with roasted hen, speck & parsnip --> literally tasted like chicken soup. But REALLY good chicken soup.
Rosemary pappardelle with wood over braised veal
Cirtrus & ricotta triangoli with olive & blood orange
Whole wheat paccheri with whey braised pork, meyer lemon & sage

Pizza
Prosciutto - garlic sausage, tomato, caper, olives, chili & smoked caciocavallo
Funghi - yellow foot & hedgehog mushroom, sunchokes, fior di latte & sage cream

Side
Root vegetable gratin with Parmesan & thyme


4 out of 5


Every meal was amazing regardless of the location. Good conversation and new experiences were had. I am so thankful to be able to try all of these amazing things. If you think you don't like something please, try everything at least once. You could be missing out on the next cauliflower creme brulee. Go outside your comfort zone and experiment with a mysterious combination as I did with the homemade soda at Commonwealth or the Ritsu Roll at Blowfish. San Francisco, thank you for having amazing food.

No comments:

Post a Comment